HOME
HISTORY
BIOGRAPHIES
ANALYTICS
MAPS
LIBRARY
LINKS
ABOUT ME

 

MYTHOLOGY
MILITARY HISTORY
CAPITALS
CHURCHES
COINS
DIASPORA-SPYURQ
KINGS
GALLERY
KARABAKH
JAVAKHK

 

 

 

 

 


St. Zoravor

Holy Mother of God Zoravor Church

 

 

Reproduction in full or in part is prohibited

 

 

Zoravor Church - is one of the oldest churches of Yerevan. At first, it was called St. Astvatsatsin, but later it was renamed St. Zoravor . The church is located in the Shahar District of Old Yerevan where the tomb and the Chapel of St. Anania the Apostle were previously located. This chapel was looked upon as a famous sanctuary.
    With the generous financial support of the residents of Yerevan, Abbot Movses Syunetzi built a monastery complex that was made up of the said church, the chapel, as well as of chambers for the members of the congregation, and the diocese, all enclosed with fortified walls. Forming here a congregation, he established a monastic school.
    The reconstruction of the monastery took place during the reign of His Holiness Pilipos, the Catholicos (1632-1635). However, fate had determined that the newly built monastery should not last long. It was completely destroyed by the earthquake of 1679.
Todays St. Zoravor Church was built in 1693 on the same site of the monastery after the said earthquake thanks to the donation of Khoja Panos, a very wealthy resident of Yerevan. An inscription recorded one hundred years after the building of the church, we learn that the church was renovated by Gabriel Haryurabet during the reign of His Holiness Ghukas Catholicos. The church is of the three-nave basilica type with no dome. On the eastern side of the prayer hall is the main altar with vestries at the northern and southern corners. Architecturally, the interior and exterior features of the church are characterized by a striking simplicity. To a certain extent the tri-vaulted porch in the western part of the church with decorative columns provides a substantial liveliness. On the flat parts of the outer walls there are beautifully carved khachkars (cross stones) bearing dates referring to the seventeenth century.
    In 1889, a new building for the St. Anania Chapel was constructed on the northeastern side of the church with stairs leading to the graveyard on the eastern flank.
    After serving different purposes throughout the period of the Soviet rule, the St. Zoravor Church was returned to the believers and thus became active. The St. Zoravor Church, under the auspices of the Mother See, saw thorough repair and improvement in the 70's. The decayed and falling parts of the walls and roofs were repaired and restored, a gallery was added for the church choir and a new house was built for the pastors. The Chapel of St. Anania also underwent restoration. The total cost of the repair and restoration of the church, as well as of the improvement of the surroundings were donated by the Holy Sees benefactor Mr. Sarkis Petrossian, an Armenian resident of France.

 Photos of Zoravor Church

 

St. Zoravor Church

View

View

Church

Church walls

Entrance

Entrance

Church's door

Inside the church

Inside

Khachkar - in the church

Inside

tombstones

Tombstones

Church's wall

 

SOURCES

armenian-history.com

araratian-tem.am

 

 

BACK HOME UP NEXT

 

Reproduction in full or in part is prohibited
 

Copyright2003-2008, Yerevan, Armenia

All rights reserved 

Smbat Minasyan : E-mail

Armenian Top Web Sites Statistics & Rating